I found this recipe thinking they’d be more pizza-ry and less potatoey. Not sure why I thought that would happen. Nonetheless these are very budget friendly and kids and Husbands alike will love them. The Baked Potato fan in your house will go NUTS for these! School holidays mean more people at home, eating more, consuming more and costing more.
I did find another recipe that called these Potato Pizette Bites which Im pretty sure is the adult, slightly higher class version of these babies. But I digress…
- Baby Potatos (I used about 12)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Smokey BBQ sauce (high in sugar but tastes amazing)
- Organic Tomato Paste or pizza sauce (I used about 3/4 of a 170g tin of tomato paste)
- 1 cup cheese (you could go diet conscious and find some soy cheese or budget conscious and use some Cheddar)
- Toppings of choice (I bought 500g of Turkey mince, cooked it all up with a bit of chopped onion and used 250g of the mince for these Pizza bites)
- Cut your potatoes in half and microwave for 10-15 mins until soft
- Preheat oven to a moderate temp.
- Cut around the edges of the Potato to make it easy to spoon the centres out:
- Spoon the centres out so that they look kind of like this:
- Flip potatoes upside down skin side up. Coat with Coconut oil and bake in oven for about 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and place a drop of tomato paste/pizza sauce into each skin, followed by your topping (mine was the precooked Turkey mince), some cheese and a drizzle of BBQ sauce
- Cook for a further 10 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
N.B. I made mash potato with the left over potato centres and put that with the remaining 250g of cooked Turkey Mince and a bit of cheese for Husband and Toddlers lunch the following day.